Tritium Targets for Neutron Tubes
Development of Tritium Targets for Small-dimension Sealed Neutron tubes with High Reliability ("INTEGRITY").
Tech Area / Field
- MAT-SYN/Materials Synthesis and Processing/Materials
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Karabashev S G
All-Russian Research Institute of Automatics, Russia, Moscow
- VNIIEF, Russia, N. Novgorod reg., Sarov\nAll-Russian Scientific Research Institute of Non-Organic Materials named after A. Bochvar, Russia, Moscow
- Sandia National Laboratories, USA, NM, Albuquerque
Project summaryThe purpose of the present project is to develope tritium target capable to hold radiogenic helium tight and keep on operating at high operation temperatures in small-dimension sealed neutron tubes during a long period.
The project propose is to carry out experimental investigations of physical picture of helium-3 behaviour while tritium targets aging.
Such experiment requires:
- to study structural changes of tritium films by X-ray structure analysis;
- to determine energetic state of helium-3 in sorbent depending on concentra-tion of radiogenic gelium and tritium-sorbent using mass spectrometric analysis;
- to investigate tritide films appearance time and characteristic fracture by scanning electron microscopy technique;
- to define helium-3 release rate using different materials at room temperatu-re at different stages of tritium target aging;
- such research is carried out on tritides of different metals and alloys.
On the basis of experimental investigations some recomendations wil1 be developed in order to optimize production technologies of tritium targets capable to hold radiogenic helium tight.
By now VNIIA, VNIIEF and VNIINM may offer sufficient scientific-technical process stock and some positive experimental results on the proposed project.