Quality Control of Magnetic Powders and Magnets
The Quality Control of Magnatic Powders aand Permanent Magnets Prodused with Use of Technology and Equipment Formerly Applied for the Manufacturing of Nuclear Weapons
Tech Area / Field
- INS-MEA/Measuring Instruments/Instrumentation
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Lapidus O V
GO Spetzmagnit, Russia, Moscow
- All-Russian Scientific Research Institute of Non-Organic Materials named after A. Bochvar, Russia, Moscow\nMoscow Power Engineering Institute, Russia, Moscow
- Walker Scientific Inc., USA, MA, Worcester\nPioneer Metals and Technology, Inc., USA, MA, Boston\nGorham / Intertech Consulting Company, USA, CT, Sanday Hook\nLDJ Electronics Corporation, USA, MI, Troy\nNational Instruments, USA, TX, Austin
Project summaryThe global permanent magnet production increases steadily and will redoubled to 2000 according to expert evaluations. The sphere of permanent magnets application is very broad, from aerospace complexes to household appliances.
Former weapons scientists and engineers in Russia using double purpose technologies developed the "know-how" manufacturing method of the fast quenched magnetic powders (FQMP) and the bonded magnets (BM) on basis of the Nd-Fe-B system. UNIDO are documented the Russian technology as a promising investition project (number MOS/208/V/94-08).
The objectives of this project consist in development of the quality control of the Nd-Fe-B FQMP and BM on the principal production phases according to requirements of the international standards ISO series 9000. The activity results may be used also to certification for a "third party".
The anticipated results and practical importance of the project. The participating institutions have a significant scientific and technical activities in this and adjacent branches. VNIINM has applied modern methods of the investigation of refined physical and chemical processes on materials. SE "Special Magnet" and MEI have worked out the promising information technology and non-destructive tests of the permanent magnet.
The Nd-Fe-B FQMP and BM have feature magnetic physical and technological properties. They call for the original theoretical and experimental researches and the new quality test techniques.
It is designed to obtain new scientific results:
- development of new techniques of quantitative phase analysis and methods for evaluation of the crystal structure of the initial Nd-Fe-B alloys and of the FQMP with application of the method of nuclear gamma-resonance,
- development of the new measuring techniques for the hysteresis curves of high-coercively magnetic materials and the measuring equipment with application of Hall microsensors,
- development of the new measuring techniques and equipment for a non-destructive test of the solid magnetic structure according to the topography of an external magnetic field of BM;
- testing standards for the Nd-Fe-B FQMP and BM as well their conforming to international norms.
The new measuring techniques and equipment will be applied by an adjustment and experimental check of the manufacturing method of the FQMP and BM in VNIINM and SE "Special Magnet".
The creation of the Russian Center for Testing and Certification of permanent magnets and its accreditation in international institutions can be a continuation of the project activity with using the designed measurement technologies, metrological provision and standards.
The results of the project stages (the author wordings of the measuring techniques and standards, the test and inspection certificates of the measuring equipment) will be presented and discussed by Russian and foreign collaborators.
The Scientific Council on the Problem "Magnetism" of Russian Academy of Sciences and the Magnetic Society (MAGO) will take part in organizing scientific seminars and conferences, including the 12th All-Russian Conference on Permanent Magnets with foreign participants (Suzdal, 1997).
The foreign collaborators can participate in the project also in such forms as:
- participation in testing, certification and patenting of the designed measuring equipment; an intercomparison of the measurement technologies; conforming of new standards to international norms;
- organization of conferences and seminars; scientific and educational publishing; scientific contacts and mutual visitation of participating institutions and collaborators.