Waste Management Training Center
Working out Educational and Methodological Base and Technical Means for Federal Training Center in the Field of Radioactive Waste Management
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-WDS/Waste Disposal/Environment
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
All-Russian Scientific Research Institute of Non-Organic Materials named after A. Bochvar, Russia, Moscow
- NPO Radon (2), Russia, Moscow
- US Department of Energy / Hammer Center, USA, DC, Washington\nStoller Ingenieurtechnik GmbH, Germany, Dresden\nTechnicatome, France, Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex\nNorwegian Radiation Protection Authority, Norway, Osteras
Project summaryMajor Objectives
- training and professional improvement of specialists in the field of radioactive waste (radwaste) management for nuclear fuel cycle enterprises, naval bases, atomic ice breakers, temporary and permanent disposal sites, and other organizations concerned radioactive matters and ionizing sources;
- preparing scientific, analytical, advertising particulars and visual aids on practical activity, research technical projects, Russian and foreign legislation on this matter.
The Training Center considered in the Federal purpose-oriented program "Radioactive waste and spent nuclear materials management, utilization and disposal (1996-2005 years)" will involve educational class-rooms furnished with modern technical means for teaching, models and stands for presentations of advanced technologies and equipment in the field of radwaste management and ecological monitoring.
Scope of Activity
- working out educational programs, teaching aids, educational and informational particulars;
- purchasing office machinery and technique for educational process;
- developing stand and model, base for presentation of working and modern technology.
Technical Approach and Methodology
Training and professional improvement processes involve:
- lectures and practical classes on radwaste neutralization technologies; radiation monitoring fundamentals; physicochemical properties of radwaste; environmental impacts;
- introducing to routine and promising procedures and equipment using research and display units, mock-ups, posters;
- introducing to physic-chemical methods of radwaste research;
- using visual and teaching aids like textbooks, motion pictures; computer programs;
- visiting enterprises dealing with radwaste;
- recruiting top-level Minatom, Navy and other Specialists, foreign ones among them, experienced in the radwaste management;
- introducing to major legislation norms and standards of Russia, IAEA, and other international organizations in the field of radwaste management.
Moreover, the Training Center is going to collect and systematize information on technique and apparatus available as well as to issue analytical essays and reviews of relevance to radwaste management.
Upon completion, methodological and teaching aids will be provided for professional training in the field of radwaste management. This will contribute to ecologically safe handling of radwaste at the CIS and Russian plants, resulting in better environment.