Gd-157 Production Using Liquid Centrifuges
Development of Technology for Enriched Gd-157 Production Using Liquid Centrifuges
Tech Area / Field
- FIR-FUE/Reactor Fuels and Fuel Engineering/Fission Reactors
- FIR-ISO/Isotopes/Fission Reactors
3 Approved without Funding
VNIIEF, Russia, N. Novgorod reg., Sarov
- GAZ, Russia, N. Novgorod reg., N. Novgorod\nRazuvaev Institute of Organometallic Chemistry, Russia, N. Novgorod reg., N. Novgorod
- Global Nuclear Fuel, USA, NC, Wilmington
Project summaryThe basic purpose of the project is the development of the constructive circuit, computationally-theoretical and experimental definition of working parameters of liquid centrifuges and working substances, suitable for manufacture 50%–90%-enriched Gd-157 with the help of the cascade of liquid centrifuges.
The primary effect of pision of isotopes in liquid solutions is shown on rotors of biological ultra-centrifuges developed in Experimental Design Department GAZ (EDD GAZ). In experiments the change of isotope structure of Cu (Cu-63 and Cu-65) more than 1% is fixed. There are basis to consider, that the similar effect can be achieved for separation of isotopes of Gd.
This project involves the following three basic directions:
1. Development of computer models of multicomponent working substances containing Gd and which are taking place in centrifugal gravitational fields.
2. Theoretical and experimental researches on development and optimization of working substances together with solvents being suitable for production enriched Gd-157 by means of liquid centrifuges. The analysis of express-methods, suitable for definition of concentration of isotopes Gd in fractions.
3. Design development of systems and units of liquid centrifuges of continuous action with use of results received in 1) and 2).