Aerohydrodynamics Simulations for Aral Region
Numerical Simulation of Aerohydrodynamic Problems of the Environment Aral Sea Region
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-MRA/Modelling and Risk Assessment/Environment
- PHY-NGD/Fluid Mechanics and Gas Dynamics/Physics
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Isakov S V
Institute of Mathematics, Kazakstan, Almaty
The desiccation of Aral Sea has caused the fast developing processes of desertification and degradation of fertile soils on enormous elbowrooms of Central Asia around of Aral Sea. The area of water surface was reduced on 40%, and volume of water mass was reduced on more then 2/3, it also has changed the water saline composition. The Aral water area has disintegrated on several separate basins. Because of airing processes development on sand-saline deposits of dried-up bottom of the Aral Sea arise the sand-saline storms, which carrying around the great mass of dust-saline particles to the hundreds km, that causes the salinization and degradation of fertile soils. All of these processes can be described mathematically as the system of partial differential equations with initial and boundary conditions. On the base of this description it is possible to build the identical mathematical models, which, in turn, can be simulated on the computer.
The goal of the project is the elaboration and numerical computer simulation of the aerohydrodynamic models of the following environment problems of Aral Sea Basin:
· transportation and distribution of the salt particles from the Aral dried-up bottom with accounting the climatic, meteorological and topographical conditions;
· hydrodynamics of water basins of Aral water area;
· dynamics of local and global meteorological features of Aral region.
The results, which will be presented at the form of numerical methods, computer programs packages, article and reports, published in seal, as well as in Internet on the special Web-site can become a strict scientific base for elaboration the plan of sustainable development of the Aral Sea region.
The Project Participants are high-qualified specialists on computing aerohydrodynamics, computer and internet technologies. Some time ago (up to 1991) they were occupied by the problems of aerodynamics of high-altitude flying apparatus (weapon transit facilities), have strong experience on computer simulation of the ecological problems of water and air environment, including the environment of Aral Sea Basin. Below is enclosed the list of main publications of the project participants:
1. Nurlybaev N. A. Yanitskii V. E. Discrete Statistical Models of the Boltzmann Equation in "Discrete Non-linear Models of the Boltzmann Equation" Nauka Publisher for Foreign, Moscow 1987, 171-191.
2. Nurlybaev N. A., Yanitskii V. E., Monte Carlo Simulation Method for Solving Gas Dynamics Kinetics Problems, Theoretical & Applied Mechanics - Bulgaria, Sofia 1988, year XIX, No 3, 66-69.
3. Nurlybaev N. A. Weighting Simulation Schemes of Gas Mixture Kinetics. Proc. of International Conference "Monte Carlo Methods & Parallel Algorithms", World Scientific, Singapore 1991, 107-109.
4. Nurlybaev N.A. The Method of Discrete Velocities for Solving the Boltzmann Equation. Comput. Maths. Math. Phys., v.32, No 11, 1661-1666, 1993 Pergamon Press Ltd.
5. Nurlybaev N.A. Discrete Velocity Method in the Theory of Kinetics Equations. Transport Theory and Statistical Physics, 1993, v.22, No 1, 109-119.
6. Abdibekov W. About Numerical Simulation of Temperature-Stratified Flow at the Open Channel. Izvestia National Academy, Almaty, 1988, No 5, pp.72-74 (Russian).
7. Abdibekov W., Numerical Experiment on the Forecasting of the Influence of Recovered Saryshyganak Basin to the Climate Conditions of the Aral Sea Region. Abst. II Seminar of CIS “Hydrodynamics stability and turbulence“, Almaty Kazakhstan, 1992, pp.94-95 (Russian).
8. Abdibekov W., Konkushev S. Numerical Simulation on the Forecasting of the Influence of Recovered Saryshyganak Basin to the Climate Conditions of the Aral Sea Region. Abst. VI International Workshop, Samarkand, Uzbekistan, 1992, 1.
9. Abdibekov W., Numerical Simulation of the Arising and Development of the Dust Storms in the Aral Region. Abst. of Conference “Mechanics and Application”, Tashkent, 1993, pp.59 (Russian).
10. Abdibekov W. Dzhuagashtin K. A semiempirical model of turbulent stratified flow. // J. Fluid Dynamics. 1992, V.27, N 5, 321-325.
11. Abdibekov W., Zakenov S. A Numerical Simulation of a Boundary Layer of Atmosphere Over a Reservoir. Izvestia National Academy, Almaty, 1995, No 5, pp.59-64 (Russian).
12. Kupesova B.N. Fundamental solutions of coupled thermoelastodynamics. Reports of Academy of Sciences of Republic of Kazakhstan, 1995, 4, 15-23.
13. Kupesova B.N., Zhanbyrbaev N.B., Dadaeva A.N. Boundary integral equations in problem of thermoelastodynamics. Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences of Republic of Kazakhstan, Phys.-math. Series, 1993, 3, 38-41.
14. Kupesova B.N., Alekseyeva L.A., Zhanbyrbaev N.B., Dadaeva A.N. BIE formulation for transient problems of thermoelastodynamics. Intern. J. Boundary Element Communication, 1996, 7, 206-211.
Scope of the work includes a solution of above enumerated problems, as well as a creation of special Web-site, where will be reflected the whole information on the project, including current reports and the all available information on the Aral Sea problem in English and Russian.
For foreign collaboration is invited Professor Peter Markowich from Wienn University Austria, who is well-known specialist on kinetic problems and who will render consultating and an information supply of the project.