Solid Waste of Madneuli Ore-Dressing Combine
Pollution of Environment with Solid Waste of Madneuli Ore-Dressing Combine
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-SPC/Solid Waste Pollution and Control/Environment
3 Approved without Funding
Caucasian Institute of Raw Materials (CIRM), Georgia, Tbilisi
- Georgian Technical University, Georgia, Tbilisi
- United States Department of the Interior, USA, VA, Reston
Project summaryThe main purpose of the Project is to determine the qualitative and quantitative characteristics of environment pollution by the solid waste of Madneuli ore-dressing combine and to develop the modern technology for neutralization of these factors.
Madneuli combine is mining-dressing enterprise processing by open quarry method the copper-pyrite, barite-polymetallic, barite-goldbearing and goldbearing quarzites ores. Among them to the primary dressing are subjected copper-pyrite and barite-goldbearing ores only, receiving the copper and barite concentrates. Goldbearing quarzites are developed by leaching method. The other ores from absence of technology are stored temporally within the special disposal areas waiting the development in future. Unconditional copper-pyrite ores are deplaced on the quarry spoil banks.
According to the data of 01.01.2003 within the territory of Madneuli ore-dressing combine are concentrated:
- Flotation tailings of copper-pyrite ores-more than 15 mln.ton.
- Tailings of barite-goldbearing secondary quarzites – about 3 mln.ton.
- Stored goldbearing secondary quarzites – about 10 mln.ton.
- Stored barite-polymetallic ores – about 524 thousand ton.
- Stored copper-zinc ores – 802 thousand ton.
- Spoil banks of unconditional copper-pyrite ores – more than 10 mln.ton.
- Piles of cyanided quarzites – about 3 mln.ton.
Whole of this mass is disposed under the open sky and is subjected to oxidation, forming the acids enriched by heavy metals. The bad substance are spreaded within the whole territory, particularly along the Mashavera river gorge, contaminating irrigative areas of Bolnisi and Marneuli regions.
As a result of Project development should be considered the elaboration of corresponding recommendations to avoid the ecological catastrophe.
The role of foreign Collaborators is to change the information during the Projects development and besides to make the commentaries to technical reports represented by participants of Project to ISTC. The foreign Collaborators may to assist to participants of the Projects in International Symposiums.
The expected results have Scientific, practical and commercial significance. The final purpose of the project is to protect the environment from pollution and the sources of contamination – the solid industrial waste – will be