Nuclear Materials Accounting
System design for safeguarding nuclear materials utilized at complex nuclear facilities.
Tech Area / Field
- FIR-NSS/Nuclear Safety and Safeguarding/Fission Reactors
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Tyurin I A
Gosatomnadzor, Russia, Moscow
- FEI (IPPE), Russia, Kaluga reg., Obninsk
- MINATOM, Russia, Moscow
- AMEKO Safeguards, Russia, Moscow
- Siberian Chemical Combine, Russia, Tomsk reg., Seversk
- All-Russian Research Institute of Automatics, Russia, Moscow
- Gosatomnadzor (Siberian Branch), Russia, Novosibirsk reg., Novosibirsk
- All-Russian Scientific Research Institute of Non-Organic Materials named after A. Bochvar, Russia, Moscow
- CEA / DTA / CEN Grenoble, France, Grenoble
- JAERI, Japan, Tokyo
- Los-Alamos National Laboratory, USA, NM, Los-Alamos
- European Commission / Joint Research Center / Institute for Systems, Informatics and Safety, Italy, Ispra
Project summaryProject Purpose is to develop an upgraded approach for safeguarding complex and sensitive nuclear fuel cycle facilities, which would include application of appropriate NDA and DA equipment to material measurements, interaction between facility accounting system and regional supervising authorities, inspection planning and performance, material data treatment, inspection evaluation.
ISTC Objectives are addressed in that respect that project facilitates technology development for environmental protection, nuclear material accountancy, providing scientists and engineers formerly involved in nuclear weapon related activities, a possibility to re-orient their skills to the civilian sector.
Expected Results of the Project will consist of:
- development of regulatory criteria applicable for nuclear material accountancy at specific types of fuel cycle facilities, based on feasibility studies for mesurement systems development, application of inspectorate field equipment, application of containment and surveillance measures;
- development of regulatory requirements for inspection procedures and scope;
- development of a model approach for nuclear material data transmission and data treatment in regional supervising office.
Scope of Activity includes:
- development of criteria for material accountancy goal attainment;
- development of mathematical models and computer codes for evaluation of MUF for unit processes and MBAs;
- development of models and computer codes for data processing at regional supervising office;
- development of a computerized system for inspection reporting and planning purposes;
- adaptation of accounting and control procedures for in-transit material data tracking;
- development of unified approach for description of design information for the purposes of material accountancy; development of DI verification procedures;
- development of requirements for standardized data banks on accounting data, analytical measurements, current calibration data, data on application of material access devices;
- development of specifications for material access devices and procedures for its application.
Technical Approach and Methodology to be applied in the project development are based on methods of material accountancy, consistent with international standards and procedures as to upgrading of accountancy methodologies, establishment of measurements accuracy standards, cost-effectiveness of methods and techniques used.