Chemical Sensors for Environment
Elaboration of Precise Chemical Sensors and Analytical Equipment on their Basis for the Control of the Gas and Liquid Environment
Tech Area / Field
- INS-MEA/Measuring Instruments/Instrumentation
3 Approved without Funding
Joint Stock Company PRACTIC-NC, Russia, Moscow reg., Zelenograd
- VNIIEF, Russia, N. Novgorod reg., Sarov
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, USA, CA, Livermore\nHumboldt Universität / Walter-Nernst- Institut für Theoretische Chemie, Germany, Berlin
Project summaryThe development of the complex of high sensitive and highly reliable with high-speed performance analytical means permitting operative composition control of the different gas and liquid environment is required for the technological process control in industry, for atmospheric and water ecological monitoring, in medicine and hydrometeorology. Generally accepted that the most perspective way for the development is based on the use of chemical sensors - miniature devices which are produced by means of microelectronics technology. At the same time due to a rise of number of components used in industry and agriculture and continuous increase of ecological demands one should develop of the new sensors with useful characteristics.
Chemical sensors elaboration for different functional purposes is actively carried out nowadays practically by all industrial countries in the world.
The aim of the proposed project is the elaboration of the precise chemical sensors and analytical equipment on their basis for the analysis of the gas and liquid media. In particular, it is supposed to elaborate the following types of sensors and analytical equipment:
- humidity sensors with detection limit of 0,005 ppm and measuring range from 0,01 ppm up to 22000 ppm (from -100 °C up to +20 °C of dew point or from 1 ґ 10-5 up to 99% of the relative humidity) and able to work in aggressive gases (including natural and chlorine containing gases) and organic liquids;
- sensors for the controlling concentration of the oxygen, active chlorine and its ions, organic impurities in the water, pH value;
- sensors for the controlling of the hydrazine, ammonia, aliphatic amines concentration in air with the detection limit of 0,1 TWA;
- multiaimed devices for the measuring of the moisture in the gases (including natural) and water content in organic liquids 0,01 ppm up to 22000 ppm (from -100 °C up to +20 °C of dew point);
- portable devices for the controlling concentration of the oxygen with the range from 0,01 mg/m3 up to 20 g/m3, chlorine ions with the range from 0,001 mg/m3 up to 10 g/m3 and pH value.
The mentioned complex of sensors and analytical equipment will be developed on the basis of the latest investigations and designs in semiconductor (including polymeric) film materials which are supposed to be used as sensitive layers of the chemical sensors. In particular, it is supposed to use films based on polyaniline silicon containing and other organosilicon compositions with additions of heteropolycompositions to provide high selectivity. For the deposition of different sensitive layers on to the sensor surfaces our original methods will be used. For example, using the method of hydrolytic polycondensation one can perform the formation of thin films with complicated composition and extremely high relative surface value (> 400 m2/g). Electropolimerisation of conductive polymers including polyaniline provides the simplification of targeting of film deposition.
The proposed organic semiconductors are used on chemical sensors at room temperatures. At the same time the common sensors based on SnO2 and ZnO required the additional heating (150-450 °C). Thus the additional advantages of our sensors are (i) low energy consumption and (ii) the improved stability.
Physico-chemical and electrophysical properties of the new film materials and technology of their formation on the substrate Surface will be investigated.
The main attention will be paid to the investigation of metrological characteristics of the developed sensors and the analytical equipment. The development of the latter devices will be based on the advanced technology of germetic corrosion-proof protected gas and liquid communications.
The project will be resulted in development of analytical equipment of world used standards. The unique properties of our sensors are: extremely high sensitivity (at the level of 0,005 ppm) of humidity sensors; high sensitivity and stability, low energy consumption of hydrazine sensors. Our sensors and devices are of high commercial potential.
In the frame of the current project the collaboration with Russian and foreign partners is planned:
- study of electrophysical and sensors characteristics of novel materials; of properties of the developed sensors (Collaborator: Institute fur Physikalishe und Theoretishe Chemi von Walter Nernst, Humbold Universitet, Dr.W. Moritz);
- the development of new analytical devices of international used standards on the basis of our unique sensors; the certification the developed devices in international metrological centers; marketing, common production (the partners of interest are required).
This project completely meets the aims of ISTC:
- This is novel complex physico-chemical and physico-technical development for the use in many branches of industry, agriculture, medicine and ecology;
- the result of this project possess high commercial potential and so assist the transition to the market economy;
- encourage integration of the science workers and engineers, connected with the design and production of the weapon in Russia into the international science association and partially solve social problem of their job placement.