Tech Area / Field
- ENV-MIN/Monitoring and Instrumentation/Environment
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Ryabeva E V
MIFI, Russia, Moscow
- National Ocean and Atmosphere Administration (NOAA), USA, MD, Silver Spring
Project summaryThis a joint proposal developed by the Moscow Physical Engineering Institute CMPED, Russia and the Air Resources Laboratory (ARL), of the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. This proposal is the culmination of the more then a year of intensive discussion intended to bring together previously separate activities focused on (a) development to measure trace quantities of Krypton-85 in air, at MPEI, and (b) the study of atmospheric trends in such concentration, at ARL. The specific goals are follow.
1. To monitoring Kr-85 pollution of the atmosphere in Russia.
2. To conduct a joint cooperative program in measurement and archiving Kr-85 between the Moscow Physical Engineering Institute (MPEI), Russia and the Air Resources Laboratory (AIR) of the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
3. To develop a new Kr-85 detector system for operation as part of Global Atmospheric Watch of the World Meteorological Organization.
4. To construct and manufacture two completes of the equipment for constant monitoring Krypton-85.
5. To predict the possible effect of accumulating Kr-85 in future climate.
6. To explore and refine international agreements on the limitation of Kr-85 in the atmosphere.