ISTC Summer School 2011, at CERN, 25 September- 1 October 2011
ISTC-CERN-JINR Summer School on High Energy Physics and Accelerator Physics
Announcing of a one-week Course
“Introduction to Physics research at CERN and JINR”
to be held at CERN (Geneva) organized jointly by ISTC, CERN and JINR with a support of
Kazakh Nuclear Center and the L.N. Gumilyev Eurasian National University:
The Course will be held at CERN, Geneva, Switzerland from September 25 through October 1, 2011. It is targeted at postgraduate and PhD students in High Energy Physics and Accelerator Physics from CIS countries and Georgia.
The Course will include five days of lectures, hands-on activities, visits to the CERN experimental facilities and discussions; they will cover the following topics:
1. Introduction to High Energy Physics research at CERN and at JINR
2. Basic Principle of Particles Accelerators
3. Modern HEP Experiments
4. Particles Detectors
5. Electronics in detectors
6. Large Hadron Collider (LHC)
7. Upgrade of the LHC
8. Data Acquisition Systems, Data Storage Systems, Data Processing Complexes
9. Computers and networks, software for the GRID system
10. Modern simulation Facilities GEANT4, ROOT
11. New collider projects (NICA, CLIC, ILCs and others)
The lectures will be given by scientists from CERN, JINR, Kazakhstan and other scientific centers.
The deadline for applications and reference letters is June 30, 2011.
Please circulate this announcement to whoever could be interested to participate in this school.